Travelling to Europe after Brexit

brexit g17117e1cb 1920

Restrictions are starting to ease, and travel plans are becoming part of our lives once again, but we now have a new barrier between us and our well deserved holidays. Its name is BREXIT. 

One of the most sought after answers for British holidaymakers is, what’s changed when travelling to Europe after Brexit? In this article, we will take you through our guide to the must-knows before travelling to an EU destination, so that when the time comes, there’ll be nothing to stop you from finally going abroad and being prepared for any hiccups that may arise. 

So, what to know before travelling to Europe

Do I need a visa to travel to Europe?

NO - If you are going on holiday you will not need a visa to travel to EU countries. 

Do I need a Passport to travel to Europe?

YES - Not only are passports getting a makeover and shiny new colour, but they will also need to be valid for 6 months from the date you enter Europe. If your passport is set to expire under 6 months from your travel dates, you will need to apply for a new passport. 

New British Passport

Do I need an International Driving Permit to drive in the EU?

NO - You can still drive in the EU with your British driving licence. You may need one if you have a paper licence. 

Can I drive my vehicle in the EU?

YES - You do not need to carry a green card when you drive in the EU (including Ireland), Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia, or Switzerland. When travelling to the EU with your vehicle you will need: 

Valid Motor Insurance Your vehicle logbook (V5) VE103 to show you’re allowed to use your hired or leased vehicle abroad A UK sticker (Not GB, more on this below) 

If you are looking for a vehicle to travel comfortably abroad with, have a look at the wide range available on Yescapa.

Do I need a new sticker to drive in the EU?

YES - From the 28th of September 2021, you will need to place a sticker on the rear of your vehicle with the letters UK. If you previously had a GB sticker, you need to remove it or cover it, as this will no longer be valid. 

Do I need Health Insurance to travel to Europe?

NO - If you are travelling to Europe you can apply for a free Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) or European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). If you already have an EHIC it will still be valid as long as it’s in date. A GHIC or EHIC gives you the right to access state-provided necessary healthcare during a temporary stay in those countries. It does not cover you for other emergencies such as theft, loss or repatriation services. For this, you would need to take out Travel Insurance to have peace of mind while abroad. 

Can I travel to Europe with my pet?

YES - However, Brexit has not helped our little furry friends move around. In order to travel to Europe with pets, you will need: 

a microchip a valid rabies vaccination an animal health certificate unless you have a pet passport issued in an EU country or Northern Ireland tapeworm treatment for dogs for some EU countries. (Check the UK Goverment Website for more information) 

Will I have roaming charges in Europe?

It depends! Since Brexit, it is up to your UK Mobile operator whether they charge extra when using your phone abroad, so make sure to check before you leave to avoid some of those nasty surprises we used to get before joining the EU. If your provider is EE, Vodafone or Three, make sure to verify the charges as these are the carriers who have introduced charges when abroad! If you are travelling by Ferry to Spain or France, we would suggest you hold off on making phone calls, unless you actually like big numbers on your phone bill of course. 

Will I be charged more to pay by bank card in the EU?

NO - the UK has maintained its participation in the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA). This means you’ll be able to continue to pay in euros with your bank card, with no new charges. However, this may change in the future but your bank will have to notify you first.

Can I bring food and drink back to the UK?

YES - However limits do apply. With cheeses and other dairy products, there is some good news, as the UK rules are currently less restrictive than the EU ones. The rules are also flexible when it comes to taking wine back, with the limit set at 18 litres per person.

On the downside, taking our beloved sausages on our hols is no longer permitted (check the UK Goverment Website for more information). 

Felicia H

Felicia H

To go further

fjords 3113126 1920
Around the world

Best Ways to Find Campsites 2018

The camping industry is changing rapidly in recent years as technology is beginning to play a bigger role in the traditional roadtrip. There are now new and easier ways to find the best campsites for your motorhome holiday to suit your needs. In this article we are looking at the best ways to find campsites in the top countries in the world for RV camping.

51a1f1ad 9db7 42dc 9dde cdce350fb8a9

Campervan bed ideas: everything you need to know

Is your motorhome mattress new but too firm? Or is it used and you're not sure whether to change it or get a mattress topper? Maybe you are about to buy a mattress for your camper van but are feeling overwhelmed by the range of options?We are going to explain how to improve your current mattress and what key points to be aware about when buying a new one.

ca9a4892 a1c5 43cf 84bc 86da57a01828
Motorhome beginners

Choosing a leisure battery for a campervan

Anyone who travels by motorhome knows that a well-functioning battery is very important. Motorhomes consume a lot of electricity, which also explains why they usually have two batteries: the starter battery and the leisure battery. The latter is essential to power your equipment, such as lights, pump or a fridge. In order to help you to figure out which kind of leisure battery to choose, we will present the pros and cons of each one and show you how to determine your electricity consumption and the required battery storage capacity.